[TN-Bird] Rankin communities & colonies

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:30:57 -0400

Friday evening, 5/21, we put in our canoe at the Rankin Bridge boat launch to
survey the the area a mile or so northward.  The water here has become Douglas
Lake, rather than French Broad River; recent rains have brought the lake close
to summer pool level.

Under the Rankin Bridge, we saw 550 CLIFF SWALLOW mud nests.  Last year, there
were fewer than 400 nests.  Just downstream, atop the old Rankin Bridge, there
were 2 OSPREY  nestlings with their parents. About 200 yards farther down,
another osprey pair were tending a nest on the west bank. Hearing an oriole
song, we paddled behind the osprey nest and found the rest of an unusual mixed
community of nesting species.

A pair of REDHEADED WOODPECKERS, uncommon in this county, were active around a
hole above 50' up in a dead cottonwood.  A female PILEATED WOODPECKER, called
and peered from a lower hole in adjacent cottonwood.  Nearby, a pair of GREAT
BLUE HERONS stood at a woody tangle that held 2 nestlings.  A couple of trees
over, a lone DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT sat on small platform of sticks.  A pair
of BALTIMORE ORIOLES sang and flew about overhead in the leafy treetops.  We
weren't able to make out an oriole nest in the canopy.  Several CAROLINA
CHICKADEE fledglings scampered through the shrubs where a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER
searched for bugs.

We paddled on along the east bank, around a D-C CORMORANT rookery with 4 active
nests and about 75 individuals, belching like a bunch of well-fed frat boys.

We crossed the river and entered the shallow pond about a mile downstream from
the bridge.  As we entered, 60 or so WOOD DUCKS flew off, and a lesser numbers
of MALLARDS  and CANADA GEESE soon followed.  We heard or saw about a dozen
female woodies go into the broken-wing routine, and saw a few groups of
ducklings paddle away in a panic.  We might not have observed any of them if
they had stayed in cover.

We also counted 8 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS, our first of the season, during
the float.  We also saw 20+ EASTERN KINGBIRDS throughout the area.

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Cocke County TN