[tn-bird] Rankin Wildlife Management Area (Cocke Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 23:00:38 -0400

Yesterday (August 11) Jim Holt, Alice Loftin, Linda Northrop, and I
visited Rankin Wildlife Management Area in Cocke County to check out the
progress of fall migration.  As is usually the case this time of year,
we were not disappointed.  Although mudflats were only beginning to
appear above the receding water--at considerable distance that made
viewing pretty difficult, even through a scope--we were nonetheless able
to tweezer out low numbers of the following species:

Semipalmated Plover (2);
Greater Yellowlegs;
Lesser Yellowlegs (3);
Solitary Sandpiper (3);
Spotted Sandpiper;
Least Sandpiper (at least 2);
Pectoral Sandpiper (at least 8).

In trees along the extensive shoreline, we were able to pick up

Black-crowned Night-Heron;
Wood Duck;
Great-crested Flycatcher;
Eastern Kingbird (7);
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (4);
Yellow Warbler;
Prairie Warbler;
Prothonotary Warbler (2).

Other notables included

Double-crested Cormorant (30);
Great Egret (73);
Green Heron (7);
Osprey;
Broad-winged Hawk.

One of the best things about Rankin is that it has become an unofficial
meeting place for birders who seldom get to see each other.  In addition
to the fine birds we encountered, we also encountered some fine birders:
Wallace Coffey, Dave Worley, and Rack Cross from Bristol-TOS and Boyd
Sharp and another member of Knoxville-TOS.  (I apologize for not
catching the name of Boyd's fellow chapter member.  I think it might
have been Dave, but I'm just not sure.  If he gets this post, I hope he
contacts me.)  It's always a treat to meet other birders out in the
field.

[Also present at Rankin were the following butterflies: Pipevine
Swallowtail, Zebra Swallowtail, Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Spicebush
Swallowtail, Pearl Crescent, Hackberry Emperor, Gulf Fritillary, Great
Spangled Fritillary, American Snout, Viceroy, Northern Pearly-eye,
Monarch, Silver-spotted Skipper, Least Skipper.]

Don Miller,
Greeneville, TN