[tn-bird] Rankin WMA birds-8/9

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:01:46 -0400

          The succulent mudflats are expanding at Rankin Bottoms, and
shorebirds are have been stopping by to feed.  Late in the day we saw 50+ least
sandpipers, nearly as many pectorals, 5 lesser yellowlegs, and a single spotted
sandpiper, one semipalmated plover, and a single sanderling.  There were many
killdeer, and several other "possible" species, but I'll leave confirmation to
others more familiar with shorebirds.
         Immature green herons are numerous, and easily approached.  We also
saw several immature black-crowned night herons.  There were a couple of 3/4
sized great egrets staying close by 2 adults.  I'm speculating that they were
hatched and reared at Rankin - we saw indications of mating and nesting
activity by GEs in the spring.  Last night, just at dark, 172 of them gathered
on a mudbar and stood in a long line.
        Two ospreys fledged on the old bridge.  They were congregating with 3
adults at the "bachelor" nest downstream from the bridge, when an eastern
kingbird mounted on the back of one, hung on and rode while the young osprey
twisted and dodged.  The attacker dismounted after a few seconds and chased the
osprey on out of his territory.  Kingbirds rule.
      While driving in the the WMA, we saw a northern cardinal pursue and
capture a katydid in flight; I thought they were strictly seedeaters.
      There's still more water than mudflat at Rankin Bottoms.  The shorebirds
can be observed at fairly close up from a canoe, and some areas not visible
from the tipple road can be accessed by boat.  We have several canoes
available, if anyone would like to paddle out.  We'd be happy to transport
experienced birders who might help identify those "possibles".

Michael Sylva Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN
mtnsylva@xxxxxxx
423 487-3161   Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com