[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake migrants, additional comments

  • From: "fekel" <fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:51:24 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co., TN
2012 April 17
7-10 am
cloudy and cool

It was such an enjoyable morning despite the cloudy and cool weather
that I had to add my 2 cents to Jan's.

On Tuesday morning I birded with Jan Shaw at Radnor Lake from the
west parking lot to Long Bridge and back.  At the dam
we ran into Scott Block and Clay Collins who also had come out
to Radnor but had to leave early.  The cloudy and cool conditions
made it a bit chilly, but most of the birds did not seem to mind.
We started the morning off with singing WOOD THRUSH and SCARLET
TANAGER near the parking lot. At the dam we found a male
RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, while farther along the Lake Trail
near the deck overlook we heard a singing ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK.
A very close up view next to the deck of a PILEATED WOODPECKER
attacking a downed tree trunk with wood chips flying everywhere
held our attention for a while. We finished with 10 warbler species
for the day and Scott and Clay added a Palm Warbler that we missed.
See Jan's posting for the full list. There was variety on the lake
as well with several HORNED GREBEs, DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTs,
and LESSER SCAUP found.

While it was wonderful to hear so much singing on such a cloudy day,
many of the birds were singularly uncooperative when it came to
revealing themselved visually.  Jan and I spent a good 20 minutes or
more at Long Bridge before a vigorously singing HOODED WARBLER showed
himself.  As we neared the end of our walk along the Otter Creek
Spillway Trail, we spotted a silent LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH and a
scruffy looking INDIGO BUNTING.

Frank Fekel
Bellevue, TN

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC

                      MAP RESOURCES