[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake, Nashville, TN (B-T Blue Warb.)

  • From: fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:02:28 -0500 (CDT)

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN
7-9 am
partly cloudy

This morning I enjoyed the sights and sounds from the west parking
lot to long bridge and back.  Plenty of deer were feeding and in
one group of 8 there was one that I could have reached out and
touched.  There was plenty of bird activity when the sun came out.
However, the natural setting was disrupted toward the end of my
walk when two buses containing about 100 National Guard used Radnor
as an exercise room.

I found my first RUDDY DUCK of the fall season on the lake as well
as my first DARK-EYED JUNCO at long bridge.  Also seen there were
a BLUE-HEADED VIREO and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER.

However, by far the best sighting of the day was a short, perhaps 30
seconds, but very sweet view of a male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER,
which was rapidly working its way along the water edge toward the
lake-trail viewing deck.  This species is a rare transient in the
Nashville area, and so always a good find.  In addition, this sighting
is several days past the late date recorded in the 4th edition of the
"Birds of the Nashville Area."

Birds of interest included:

Gadwall 11
Ruddy Duck 1