[TN-Bird] R. Grouse chicks/ east TN foray

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 23:16:38 EDT

Carter and Unicoi counties, upper East Tennessee
May26-29
The long holiday weekend allowed me to make a trek from the low hills of
middle TN to the mountains of east TN for some "high elivation" nature study.

On the lower slopes of Unaka Mt., Unicoi Co., in the rhododendron thickets
from 2,500 to 3,000 feet, BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLERS were common. Here I also
got my minimum yearly requirement of VEERY song! Veerys are seen at Radnor in
Nashville in low numbers during migrtion but I don't usually hear them sing.
At the spruce/fir zone at aprox. 4,000 ft. CANADA WARBLER was heard, but not
seen! MAGNOLIA WARBLER, heard and seen and CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS were
encountered in the more open areas on top. ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS were heard
and
CEDAR WAXWINGS were also present.
Butterfly species of note on Unaka were MOURNING CLOAKS along the road and
AMER. COPPERS in the meadows.

I stayed on a private farm in the Hampton area of Carter Co., at aprox. 2,500
ft. elivation. The highlight sighting of this area was a RUFFED GROUSE with a
total of 9 chicks in tow! They could not have been more than a few days old.
Grouse are resident on this farm, I've seem them on previous visits here at
other times of the year, but the timing was right since this is the nesting
season.

Thanks to local expert Don Holt I was able to add to my butterfly and
dragonfly list. We found APPALACHAN EASTERN TIGER SWALLOWTAIL and Don helped me
with
fine points of identification. Despite the overcast and misty weather we also
found an emerging COMMON BASKETTAIL dragonfly and FRAGILE FORKTAIL and AURORA
damselflies.

Other dragonflies found in the area were:
Gray Petaltail
Great Blue Skimmer
12 Spotted Skimmer
Eastern Pondhawk