[TN-Bird] Re: Purple Finches

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:20:18 -0600

I don't maintain feeders, preferring to instead manage our land as one big 40 acre bird feeder. Hence we get Purple Finches up in the trees feeding on wild food sources. They seem to particularly like tulip poplar seeds, among others. I almost always here them before I see them, their delicate little calls trickling down from the treetops. They have been scarce this winter, only ones and twos occasionally, none most days. A sign of impending spring came yesterday (2/20/2014) -- a singing male in a low treetop. My first Purple Finch song of 2014.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald (Lewis County) TN

On Feb 21, 2014, at 7:22 AM, Ginger Goolsby wrote:

I have not seen a single Purple Finch at my feeders all winter. I never have
had many, but usually a few....not this year though.
I have not been mobbed by Common Grackles, but I have had plenty of
starlings!
Ginger