[TN-Bird] Prelim Knoxville CBC results

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:50:41 -0500 (EST)

The weather for the Knoxville CBC on Saturday was nice for the
counters with a near-record high of 70F but bad for the countees.
All groups so far have reported lackluster birding with everything
staying hidden or having left.  With about half the groups having
reported at the compilation dinner last night, we're at 86 species
with 3 additional good count-week birds which (so far) refused
to cooperate on Saturday including that honery Sage Thrasher,
Loggerhead Shrike and Greater White-fronted Goose (all were seen
on Friday).  Far below last year's record-tieing 97 species.

It felt more like a spring count and some of the critters agreed.
We had a displaying American Woodcock and more species of Treefrogs
heard calling (3) than owls.  Ducks were especially hard to come by
although we did have the immature white morph and blue morph Snow
Geese at Pellissippi.  I've heard positive results from three of
the people hosting Rufous Hummers awaiting a fourth.  Two reports
of Brown-headed Nuthatch have came in and I'm expecting a third.
6 Sandhill Cranes were found in Louisville in Blount Co.

We should get a few more added as the remaining reports come in
and fill in some big gaps like Common Grackle and Red-winged
Blackbird.

More later,

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN