[TN-Bird] Pre-TOS Spring Meeting birding

  • From: dtrently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:15:39 -0400

Attention all birders heading to Knoxville this weekend for the TOS Meeting.

Here are some thoughts on birding opportunities as you head our way.

From the west...
  Coming east on I-40, may we recommend KINGSTON STEAM PLANT.
This is at Exit 350 (Midtown) in Roan County. Turn RIGHT off the exit (onto
Pine Ridge Rd)...turn LEFT onto US 70...take the next left onto Swan Pond Rd
and go under the interstate. Take the right onto Plant property.
Drive out this road until you can turn right at a parking area, drive back to
your right on a gravel road and park in the turn around circle. Check the pine
trees for:
Brown-headed Nuthatches; Pine Warblers
Head back out to Swan Pond Rd and turn RIGHT. In about a mile, cross RR tracks
and take the first RIGHT at the ball field. Drive into the parking area on the
left side of the ball field and park. Wander the fields and dirt road
searching for:
Grasshopper Sparrow; Eastern Meadowlark; 'grasspipers' - maybe you'll get
lucky and find a plover other than a Killdeer, or an Upland Sandpiper!; other
shorebirds; Marsh Wren and Sora if you're lucky; Osprey.
Wear a hat and sun screen - it's all open here!

From the east...
  Driving west on I-40, we would like to recommend SEVEN ISLANDS WILDLIFE
REFUGE, three miles south of the interstate.
This is at Exit 402 (Midway Rd) in Knox County. Turn LEFT off the exit (onto
Midway Rd)...(at one mile, Midway Rd bears left)...at two miles from I-40,
turn LEFT onto Maples Rd...Maples ends at Kodak Rd - turn RIGHT. Take the
first left onto Kelly Lane (just past a small church) and drive to the parking
lot for the refuge.
You can walk the paved road or wander into the fields. Check the barns
(carefully, don't want too much disturbance) for Barn Owls.
Some birds to look for:
N Bobwhite; Summer and Scarlet Tanagers; Yellow-breasted Chat; Common
Yellowthroat; Grasshopper Sparrow; Baltimore and Orchard Orioles.

From the south...
  Has anyone looked around the Charleston Exit off I-75 for Scissor-tailed
Flycatcher? I checked twice earlier in April, but no luck.

See you this weekend!
David Trently,
Knoxville, TN
dtrently@xxxxxxx