[TN-Bird] Pickwick Pickin's II - 7 Gull Species - 2 California Gulls

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 00:52:29 EDT

Oct. 31, 2009
Pickwick Lake
Hardin Co. TN

The first search of the area in the morning found only a couple of gulls
below the dam and about 150 mixed gulls above the dam. The white headed
adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was still present plus another immature bird
above the dam. The standard Herring and Ring-billed Crew plus a few FRANKLIN'S
GULLS were resting on the lock walls and an immature CALIFORNIA GULL flew
in from the south. A trip to Bruton Branch produced a few gulls and one
Common  Loon.

Around Noon, David Kirschke joined me to look for his lifer Thayer's Gull.
We found a single Bonaparte's Gull sitting way out in the middle of the
lake, 2  more loons and the two Eared Grebes left over from last week. At one
time we had  7 FRANKLIN'S GULLS resting on the water above the dam.

The gulls kept coming in and out all afternoon to rest on the locks and
moorings. It was after 3 PM when I discovered a bird I suspected was an
immature THAYER'S GULL. We walked up on the bridge and I was able to show
David
the color and details on that bird and then found another immature  THAYER'S
on the other side of the lock. Scanning the rest of the birds, I found
another CALIFORNIA but this was an adult, giving David SEVEN gull species  on
the day!!

For photos of the adult California Gull start at:
_http://www.pbase.com/image/118915707_ (http://www.pbase.com/image/118915707)

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES