[TN-Bird] Peregrine Falcons in the Smokies

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:09:05 -0500

east Tennessee, Sevier County, Great Smoky Mountains National Park

During the Great Smoky Mountains Christmas Bird Count on Sunday, Jennifer
Kasten, Mike Nelson and I were treated to quite a show by a pair of PEREGRINE
FALCONs at Alum Cave Bluff. This is the site where falcons have nested the
past few years. It is about 2.5 miles from the trailhead on Newfound Gap Road.
We first heard one bird call and then saw it land in a spruce tree right above
the center of the Cave. Mike literally risked his life to get better views of
this, a life bird for him. Walking past the opening of the Alum Cave Bluff,
one had to dodge falling icicles - ice that sometimes topped 100 pounds! The
sunny day accelerated melting and so these projectiles were falling regularly.
He made it safely to where he could view the falcon at eye level.
Eventually the bird flew to another tree, calling several times on its RAPID,
short-distance flight. It flew away and we thought we had seen the last of it
that day, until we saw it below us, soaring upward...right over our
heads!...joined by the second bird.
Both returned to the original tree above the Bluff.

It was a great day to be out in the Smokies. Not a lot of bird activity, but
great weather and a good close flock of PINE SISKINs at Newfound Gap, plus
COMMON RAVEN.
I don't have a complete list yet from all participants.

Get out and join in on this Christmas Bird Count season!
David Trently,
Knoxville, TN