[TN-Bird] Pace Point area 10/03/04

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 19:25:43 -0500

10/03/04
Big Sandy Unit, TNWR (Pace Point)
Henry Co

A morning trip to Pace Point produced several 1st of season birds, but
nothing extremely exciting. The Point itself was devoid of birds when I got
there, but shortly later the gulls began to arrive, though nothing but
Ring-bills before I left. The Point is now almost completely out of the
water, and no doubt will be more productive soon. The waters around the
Point were teeming with Cormorants, but only Gadwall, Mallard, and a
Ring-necked as far as ducks go. Surprisingly, a lone Coot was also working
off of the Point. No loons have snuck in, and not a Horned Grebe yet, though
a few Pied-billeds are in the area now.

Yellow-rumped Warblers arrived on the scene today, and was the most
plentiful warbler right off the bat. Oddly, I also had my 1st Palms of the
fall, and they also outnumbered Magnolia which of late has been the most
numerous warbler on a daily basis. My 1st Orange-crowned of the fall (and
the year) was also seen today, but only a single bird. Other warblers were
TN (several), Black-throated Green, Pine, and Common Yellowthroat (several).

Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were once again prevalent, with a group of 15
feeding near the roadside in one location. The field below the maintenance
shed was productive, and the back area near the levee looks good for
sparrows, though unfortunately it is not wet at all. I didn't get a
Sharp-tailed Sparrow, but did get my 1st of the fall Swamp and Lincoln's
Sparrows, along with several each of Sedge and Marsh Wrens, with House Wren
in the thickets around the edge of the field. Also in this field a lone
Bobolink flushed up a couple of times, before "plinking" off out of sight.
This was my 1st Bobolink of the year, after missing most of the spring
migration this year.

A quick stop into Lick Creek produced lots of fresh flats, but only a few
Ring-billed Gulls and Killdeer. The Dunlin and Snipe will see it soon I'm
sure. I didn't visit any of the places I went yesterday. Raptors were
scarce, with my only high-fliers being a Red-shoulder and Cooper's.

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.