[TN-Bird] Our Rufous Made History Yesterday

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:54:02 -0600

Willie Three, the little mature male Rufous Hummingbird who has been at our
feeders since October 30th, made history yesterday as he was only the second
Rufous ever recorded on the DeKalb County CBC.  The first was the mature male
Rufous that was at our feeders for 108 days in the fall and winter of
2004-2005.  A lady came to see him on Wednesday and he gave her great looks
during his three visits to the feeder while she was here and then on Thursday
when two of the people helping with the CBC came he was very cooperative again.
 No one is prepared for how beautiful he is, especially when he hovers and then
eats at the feeder with the heat lamp overhead which causes his colors to just
glow.  We are amazed too when we see him come to the feeder for the first time
each morning as it seems our brains cannot retain an image overnight of his
gorgeous colors.  As I am typing this note, Virginia just saw him sitting in
one of the trees behind the house; this is the first time we’ve been able to
find him there even though we knew he was going that direction when he leaves
the feeder.

We have some family events coming up in the next week but if anyone wants to
come and see him, just call us at 615-215-1254 and we’ll work out a time when
we will be home.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County