[TN-Bird] Orange-crowned Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:50:26 -0400

April 20, 2005

In a couple of brief stops in Greeneville on my way to work this
morning, I found a Blue-winged Warbler and an Orange-crowned Warbler,
two hard-to-get Vermivora species.

I consider these transients to be rare in Greene County, and some years
I have recorded none.  Blue-winged appears to be more commonly found
here than Orange-crowned, possibly because its song is more
distinctive.  I was very lucky today to hear repeated songs and calls by
the Orange-crowned Warbler.  The Blue-winged also sang repeatedly.

In checking my records for these species this evening, I discovered that
most of my spring observations for BWWA have occurred in a tiny window
from April 18 to April 22.  There are also several fall records.

In looking over my notes for Orange-crowned Warbler, I saw that my last
spring observation in Greene County was on April 19, 1996.  Practically
all of the few records I have for OCWA have been in fall.  (Greeneville
TOS also has sporadic fall count records for the bird.)

In addition to the above, I also found an Orchard Oriole, a Common
Yellowthroat, a White-eyed Vireo, and a Scarlet Tanager.

Not bad for a few minutes birding time inside the city limits . . . .
April is wonderful.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN