[TN-Bird] Re: Nov. 24 Whooper update

  • From: Antwren@xxxxxxx
  • To: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 19:57:04 EST

I was a lucky viewer at Hiwassee this morning and this afternoon. It was one
of the most incredible events I have ever witnessed. You can't imagine the
efforts made by the pilots to herd these magnificent cranes through the air
and to keep them following behind the ultralights. Today, some of the cranes
seemed to be leading the ultralights and unfortunately it was back to the
pen. The views were wonderful but the disappointment was great that the
cranes did not form up in an orderly manner for their departure.

It all looked pretty chaotic with the birds and planes all over the place,
like a dogfight in an old war movie with open cockpit planes. I later thought
that if I had been up there in the middle of it, I probably would have headed
for the security of my pen too.  The Operation Migration pilots made a heroic
effort. You really have to see them at work first hand to have an
understanding of what all is involved in getting these birds on the move and
safely to their destination.

Marcia Davis
Knoxville, TN