[TN-Bird] New Arrivals - Ensley and Environs

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:00:18 EDT

April 24, 2007
Ensley Bottoms
Presidents Island
Shelby Co, TN

I had a couple of hours after a meeting downtown this afternoon and found a
few old friends had arrived. Sunday, Ed Conrad and I had a first of season
Dickcissel at Walls, Mississippi and today I found them on President's Island
and at Ensley. I checked for Scissor-tailed Flycatchers on the Island with no
luck but then found a spiffy male not far away on my way down  Riverport Road.

The vetch is starting to bloom, no Bobolinks yet but I'll bet in the next
few days, Orchard Orioles and Bobbies will be neck deep in the stuff. Indigo
Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks were still few and scattered.

A quick run at the pits yielded fewer birds but a big increase in Least
Sandpipers plus 2 Semipalmated and a male Western just breaking  out his spring
finery. The three days of a southern breeze plus a new storm  front heading in
Wednesday, will stir the species mix again but has sent a  large number of Wind
Birds north.

 A breeding plumaged Red-backed Sandpiper (Dunlin) was a nice addition  after
the few living, up to their modern name, had made their dull appearances
earlier this month. They are really stunning birds when all decked out in
bright
color and black cummerbund. The Black-necked Stilts are busy building  nests
with the un-paired interrupting all the settled couple's home making by
squabbling. It seems such fights attract every BNS in ear shot to join  in and
add
their opinions and raucous groups become a show of black and  white agitation.
Only 2 Baird's Sandpipers were ferreted out and Semipalmated  Plovers were
scattered at every location.

With Lesser Yellowlegs still in good numbers and a couple of Stilt
Sandpipers the Wind Bird total for the afternoon was 15 species. The new  front
could
add a few species to the season list.

Except for the early Hudsonian, we have not had any of the larger species
enjoyed by others this season in the surrounding area, Marbled Godwits,
Whimbrels, Willets or Avocets have by-passed my sporadic searches. Tommy Pratt
wrote
that Linda and Dick Reynolds and he went to Grand Bay over the weekend AOS
meeting to check out reported Whimbrels and were bowled over by 175  plus
individuals scattered in groups in the area with one flock  containing over
SEVENTY
birds. WOW!!! I'M READY TO BE BOWLED!!
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135

What is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES