[TN-Bird] Nesting house wren update +

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:28:38 EDT

Greetings from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville just east of the old
Cleece's Ferry Boat Ramp.
My house wrens are "feeding" and fussing like crazy to keep interlopers
away.  I just went down to refill my "inside bags" with bird seed from the big
bags
in the trunk of the car, and I really got "cussed out" by both parents!  I
cannot see any babies in the gourd, but I guess they are in under all that
nesting material that fills the cavity.

 Baby downeys are in a hole just a few inches below the lopped off top of the
dead ash tree in my parking lot out back.  Once in a while, I'll see a little
one peek out while the parents are away on a food gathering spree.  The
parents forage in nearby trees and "communicate" often keeping each other and
the
babies aware of their presence.  The flicker and the hairy are still
periodically working on their respective holes in the same tree.  They may be
doing a
dual task in gathering food from under the bark around the holes while
preparing
a place for future habitation.  It appears that each woodpecker has respect
for the privacy of its neighbors' "apartments" in the  15--20 foot length of
trunk in the same tree.  I have never seen any of them approach the "domain" of
another.

Go get some good birds--TODAY!

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN