[TN-Bird] Nesting Fish Crows In Ooltewah ?

  • From: "David Stone" <rockyturf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:55:14 -0400

    For the past 3 years we have had at least 1 Fish Crow spend much of the
spring and part of the summer at The Honors golf course in Ooltewah. Last fall
Clyde Blum and I got excellent looks (Clyde got pictures) of a Fish Crow near
the maintenance building at the golf course.

    This spring I believe we have a pair nesting or at least thinking about
nesting. For the past 3-4 weeks one has been hanging around the lakes and the
clubhouse area. It is not very afraid of people and of course does the constant
nasal call.

    Late yesterday afternoon I saw 2 together but they were silent. They were
in a woody area about 100 yards from the water. It made me think they may
possibly be nesting there.
Fish Crows are listed as rare visitors to the Chattanooga area in spring and
summer while not listed at all for fall and winter. I do not know if there is
any record of them ever nesting in the Chattanooga area or not. My time is
limited right now but I will try to keep a lookout to see if I see any more
activity to indicate nesting.

David Stone
The Honors Course
Ooltewah, Tn