[TN-Bird] Nashville area birding

  • From: Gary Casey <gcasey2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 18:21:15 -0400

Davidson, Willamson and Rutherford Counties

Jan Shaw and I began this day birding at Radnor Lake St.
Natural Area, in Davidson County. After a couple of quite
hours, we decided to seek birds elsewhere.

Elsewhere turned out to be the Del Rio Pike area of northern
Willamson County. On Whitehall Rd., in Whitehall subdivison,
we found a Grasshopped Sparrow singing atop a for sale sign.
Nearby, a singing Willow Flycatcher was located on Old Charlotte
Pike, just off of Hi-way 96. These are the same locations these
birds have nested for several years.

After lunch, the Rutherford County Sissor-tailed Flycatcher
was our goal. We found two on Florence Rd. just east of I-24.
They were gracefully flycatching from power lines north of the
road. An interloper Red-tailed Hawk was set upon by one of these
long tailed beauties and was driven off after being swooped on
for a minute or more. Never seen that before.

Gary Casey
Kingston Springs, Tn.

Talk and walk softly, carry a big
scope.