[TN-Bird] Re: Nashville Big Day - big disappointment!

  • From: BEAMERWITT@xxxxxxx
  • To: jay.desgrosellier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:30:30 EDT

On Sunday May 9 David McCarroll and I started out pre-dawn to try and finally
hit 140 species for the day in the mid-state.  We reached the Harpeth Valley
early and with all 3 nightjars in the sack.  Two GH Owls were calling on
arrival, Willow Flycatcher wa present as hoped, and The A Kestrel male flew in
before first light to the same wire on Hwy 96, stayed for 10 minutes or so and
then disappeared.  Unfortunately, there was no sign of the shrike seen
Wednesday,
but since we had found another one on Saturday near Murfreesboro, all was not
lost.  Blue Grosbeaks and Grasshopper Sparrows were also on the list before
daylight, and we reached Radnor Lake with a reasonable start.  I knew that it
would be a bit slow, and as predicted, bird numbers were low, and the only
sightings of note were 2 Veerys and several Cape May Warblers.  We carried on
Shacklett to find the same RT Hummer perched in the top of a large tree, and
then on to Ashland City.  Our luck with the remaining warblers was marginal
with
several misses, the only bird of interest was Worm-eating W on territory on
the steep hillside just past the house with the bright red roof a few miles
along Wiley-Pardue Road.  We missed the guaranteed Red-headed Woodpeckers at
Dyson's Ditch, and limped in to Ashland City at 1 PM for a review of the list
and
lunch.  At this point we had only 95 species with another 17 pretty much sure
things (RT Hawk, Rock Dove, BC Night-Heron, etc).  It looked as if 120 would
be easy if we just kept going, but we could not get anywhere near our target,
so we decided to ditch 2004, and regroup next year for another try.  When I got
home, a red-phase E Screech-Owl was guarding the nest box in my back yard,
for our third owl of the day - pretty good for this area.
Maybe next year

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn 37130