[TN-Bird] Mystery bird--somebody's pet Canary?

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:02:04 EDT

Good morning once more from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville just
east of the Cleece's Ferry ramp.
A mystery bird made its appearance at my feeder yesterday.  It was somewhat
associating with, but seemingly not well accepted by, the house finches.  The
bird was SOLID lemon yellow above with fading beginning at the chest underneath
and progressively becoming lighter to almost white at the under tail coverts.
 It even had a lemon yellow, finch shaped beak.  It DID get to eat from my
feeder right outside the kitchen window several times after which it would fly
up to the nearby telephone cable which sent the house finches into a flurry
each time as they were trying to feed young and weren't too happy with the
strange "interloper."  After it seemingly had a sufficient meal, it flew into a
heavily leafed hackberry tree behind the deck.  I did not see it again
yesterday
and have not seen it this morning.

It has been a really long time since I have seen a canary, but it seems that
this bird was a perfect match to the picture of a canary in my encyclopedia.
Apparently, someone in my neighborhood(?) has lost a canary.  I hope it finds
its way home.

In the past, at various places, I have had a budgerigar at my feeder, a mynah
that I saw in the rafters of a Hertz barn when I went to rent a truck once
and two different cocktails out at the Tennessee Youth Center in JetLAN when I
was librarian/English teacher out there.

Did anyone else see the footage of the swallows nesting in the "foyer" of a
Home Depot in Minnesota where the birds "have learned to fly back in forth in
front of the automatic doors to make them open so they can get to their nests?"
 It was on NBC several nights ago.  Birds adapting to modern technology such
as automatic doors--now, that's something!!

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN