[TN-Bird] Mothers day at Ensley bottoms, thanks ladies!!!

  • From: wiliam Hampton <ducklabdad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:35:02 -0700 (PDT)

Ensley Bottoms Shelby county "mothers day"
Well last sunday I "let the wife sleep in" and made a run down to the steam
plant and Ensley to see if I could get some good pic,A few shorebirds up top
and the wind was howling, spitting rain and overcast.  Saw a few shorebirds
athat I got pics of lesser yellow legs and some spotted and least sandpipers.
Saw two orioles and indigo bunting but no good shots.

Did find the Dickcissels singing like crazy and posing for photos, I did not
know what they were other than a yellow throated looking sparrow, but two very
nice young ladies in a white Explorer told me what they were. They also told me
where they had seen a Yellow Crowned Night Heron I might see on my way out on
Mitchell rd.. I was leaving so I thanked them and went on my way hurrying off
to take my wife and daughter to IHOP as I had promised for mothers day
breakfast.

I made a quick look as I went by the area and low and behold right nest to the
road was an absolutly gorgeaous Yellow crowned night heron, ready to have his
pictrure taken. I tool a bunch of shots of him as he posed and preened and
strutted for me. I also got some shots of a nice Green Heron and a female
hooded merganser.

Needless to say I was late for Breakfast, but thank goodness my wife
understood(expected me to be late anyway) when she saw the pictures I got!!

Ladies I do apologize I should have remembered your names, for that I am very
sorry,  I owe you an 8X10 of a Yellow Crowned Night Heron thank you so
much., If you know these ladies please let me know!!! they were quite
knowledgable and I hope and feel I will see them again soon.  If you see them
tell them I owe them some pictures!!

Bill Hampton
ducklabdad@xxxxxxxxx

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan