[TN-Bird] Morgan County - IMBD

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:22:37 -0400

I have finally compiled the Morgan County International Migration Bird Day -
North American Migration Count data.

Morgan County is in east Tennessee, northwest of Knox County.

I counted for 12 hours, visiting Frozen Head State Park and the Lilly Bridge
area of the Obed Wild & Scenic River, as well as some unnamed areas of Morgan
County.
Stan Wallace added a few birds at another area of the Obed.

In the following bird list, the first number is for the entire county...the
number in parentheses is for the Obed area (some people wanted those numbers
separately).

Green Heron   1
Canada Goose   15   (2)
duck sp   6
Black Vulture   1   (1)
Turkey Vulture   22   (22)
Cooper's Hawk   1   (1)
Red-shouldered Hawk   1   (1)
Broad-winged Hawk   1   (1)
Red-tailed Hawk   1
American Kestrel   4
Ruffed Grouse   1   (1)
N Bobwhite   3   (2)
Killdeer   9
Solitary Sandpiper   2
Rock Pigeon   7
Mourning Dove   17   (3)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo   2
Chimney Swift   8   (3)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird   2   (2)
Belted Kingfisher   2
Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Downy Wp   1
Hairy Wp   1
N Flicker   2
Pileated Wp   3   (1)
E Wood-Pewee   3
Acadian Flycatcher   9
Willow Flycatcher   3
E Phoebe   5   (1)
Great Crested Flycatcher   1
E Kingbird   2
N Rough-winged Swallow   11   (5)
Barn Swallow   13
Blue Jay   6   (1)
Am Crow   9   (2)
Carolina Chickadee   5   (2)
Tufted Titmouse   6   (2)
White-breasted Nuthatch   1
Carolina Wren   22   (2)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher   9   (4, including a nest)
E Bluebird   11
Wood Thrush   4   (4)
Am Robin   23
Gray Catbird   5
N Mockingbird   4
Brown Thrasher   9   (1)
Cedar Waxwing   10   (10)
Eur Starling   75
White-eyed Vireo   8   (4)
Blue-headed Vireo   3   (3)
Yellow-throated Vireo   2
Red-eyed Vireo   31   (8)
Tennessee Warbler   1
N Parula   3   (3)
Yellow W   1
Black-throated Blue W   2
Black-throated Green W   18   (9)
Yellow-throated W   12   (1)
Pine W   5   (5)
Prairie W   11   (5)
Blackpoll W   1
Cerulean W   2   (2)
Black-and-white W   4   (3)
Am Redstart   6   (2)
Worm-eating W   3   (3)
Swainson's W   1   (1)
Ovenbird   13   (2)
N Waterthrush   1
Louisiana Waterthrush   1   (1)
Connecticut W   1   (1)  first record for the Obed region??
C Yellowthroat   14   (5)
Hooded W   12   (3)
Yellow-breasted Chat   14   (5)
Summer Tanager   1
Scarlet Tanager   6
N Cardinal   12
Indigo Bunting   23   (7)
E Towhee   5   (1)
Chipping Sparrow   7
Field Sp   6
Savannah Sp   1
Song Sp   30
White-crowned Sp   1
Red-winged Blackbird   29
E Meadowlark   19
C Grackle   17
Brown-headed Cowbird   1   (1)
Orchard Oriole   3
House Finch   2
Am Goldfinch   12   (3)
House Sparrow   8

biggest miss: Blue Grosbeak. Great Blue Heron is a common bird that was missed
- but I have never seen one in Morgan County, so I didn't expect it. I'm sure
there are some there...somewhere....

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN