[TN-Bird] More on weird warbler this morning

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 16:56:52 -0500

My audio recording of the weird Mourning-or-not Warbler I heard and briefly glimpsed at our place in western Lewis County this morning (5/16/2012). It is better than I had thought, but still not great. I compressed 55 seconds into this 12 second clip, which contains 5 consecutive songs from the bird. Note the frequency of repetition (> 1/ per 10 sec), and the variability between the repeats. The fourth song, the one that is closest and clearest, also included the strange White-eyed Vireo like chattering that many of the songs terminated with. That is really part of the song, it is not a vireo in the background, I heard it many times and at much closer range earlier before I got my camera. Refer to my earlier e-mail for the descriptions of the tiny bit I saw of the bird in a very brief glimpse.

Comments, suggestions, ideas, insights extremely welcome, especially if anyone is actually familiar with this song. I have a less- compressed 1 MB .wav file also that I can send privately if anyone is interested.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN