[TN-Bird] More birds and stuff/Great -h Horned Owl

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:51:59 -0400

4-15-03
Cove Lake State Park, Campbell County, TN

     Tonight at 8:30 with a gorgeous near full moon in the background,
Jimi and I watched a GREAT-HORNED OWL at Cove Lake emerge just before
total darkness.  He proceeded to fly back and forth several times across
a small section of the lake over to the tip top of a large Cedar Tree in
the area  where we were walking on the trail.  A couple times, he took a
dive at Mallards and Coots in the water and they scattered everywhere!
All this time, he was only about 100-150 ft. away. As it got darker, (but
still with plenty of moonlight to see a silhouette)  he dropped to the
ground and back up to the  top of a Sycamore Tree and turned sideways
revealing a mouse in his beak.  We could see the tail hanging down with
binoculars in the waning lighting and by the light of the brilliant moon.
  Very cool.  He did not consume the mouse, and we also heard what was
probably a young owl beginning to call with hissing noises and  he
disappeared into a thick, tall Cedar  beside the Sycamore.. I have looked
for a nest the past 3 months since they nested there about 3 yrs ago and
we were able to watch them , and will check this tree in the morning .The
 young are probably flying around by now, but may be roosting in this
area. This is the first Great-Horned Owl I have seen here in 3 years,
though I have rarely been in the park after dark.

Other excitement was our first RUBY-THROATED HUMMER in Jacksboro, TN  at
our feeders late this afternoon, as well as Black and White Warblers
and Yellow-throated Warblers in our pond this morning.

Cove Lake State park has free access on Wednesdays.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN
N. of Knoxville