[TN-Bird] Memphis/KY trip-25-26Jul11

  • From: davchaffin@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:44:07 -0400 (EDT)

 TN birders,

Having been going nonstop since our return, but wanted to get out highlights
from a trip to Memphis and Fulton Co, KY on the above two dates.  Party
consisted of John Henderson, Jan Chadwell, Libby Wolfe, and me.  Target state
birds included Black-bellied whistling duck(Jan and Libby), Anhinga)Jan, Libby,
and John), neotropic cormorant for TN((Jan, John, and Libby), and neo corm for
KY(all of us).

Drove straight to TVA Lake, where we immediately had bbwd for our only state
bird of the trip-about 13.  With help from a friend, Damien Simbeck, who was
surveying birds at TVA Lake, we got close at what shorebirds were to be had,
mainly least, pectoral, and semipal sandpipers.  Least terns had young, and we
got scope views.  Run down by the Allen Steam Plant and drew a blank for
painted bunting, but loggerhead shrike was a nice addition to the trip list.
Only addition to the list at the Ensley pits was a few Western sandpipers.
Yes, it was a very hit day, and we retreated to the cars with gusto for the AC!
 We parted ways with Damien, who was headed by to NW Alabama.  Next stop was
President's Island, where we got Western Kingbird for a year bird for all, and
recorded our first Eurasian collared dove for the trip.  Did add Miss kite from
a McDonalds parking lot on hwy 61, and black-necked stilt at TVA lake for yr
birds.

 Headed up US Hwy 51, then west on hwy 88 and north on hwy 181.  Started
birding in earnest once we crossed the Obion River, where the water had receded
bigtime, and we knew our luck with the cormorant and anhinga would probably not
be good.  Did have great blues, great egrets, and a few snowys north of the
bridge.

Working north, we tried White Lake Refuge.  We had been warned to be quiet and
try to sneak up to the observation platform, and we did try, but the birds were
real nervous here.  However, we only added an immature yellow-crowned night
heron to the list here.  Cattle egret and green heron were added in Dyer and
Lake Cos.

On Tuesday, having spent the night in Dyersburg, we check around Reelfoot
without notable luck.  Did get a descent list of birds in Fulton Co.  Most of
our birds were gotten on the road which was a left turn at the Sassafras Ridge
sign, and the road meandered back in a southwesterly direction.  We were
surprised to have 2 singing Henslow's sparrows.  Shorebirds included lesser
yellowlegs, solitary, spotted, semipal/western/least sandpipers, pectoral, 3
breeding plumage short-billed dows, and black-necked stilts.  Lake 9 had only
great blues, great egrets, and killdeer.  Total KY species was 45.

Thanks to Jeff Wilson who provided suggestions on where to look for the
cormorant and anhinga, but we were too late this trip for those.

David Chaffin
Cleveland TN
Bradley Co