[TN-Bird] Memphis Migration

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:31:20 -0400 (EDT)

Aug. 6-7-8, 2011
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Saturday afternoon, kept producing but many birds  had left the scene. The
numbers of immature Semipalmated kept growing along  with Semipalmated
Plovers and the next surprise was a single juvenile  Western. Searching
Saturday,
Sunday and a little Monday, I could not come  up with a single immature
Least Sandpiper. I can not remember a year where I had  both Semi and Westerns
youngsters before Least.

On Sunday, a Black Tern kept the birds nervous with a little  help from the
young Red-tail. The adult Baird's remained but numbers were down  slightly.
On the Mississippi 11 Black Terns and 2  Forster's were found along with a
distant larger tern that slept on the head of  the Loosahatchie Bar that
never raised its head.

Monday a quick check at noon found numbers much reduced. The  Black Tern
was still hanging around and the large brood of Black-bellied  ducklings
seemed all right but the TRIO has disappeared, not seen Sunday or  Monday?
Numbers of Black-bellied Ducks steadily moving down........... A Reeve  was
reported and photographed in northeast AR over the weekend so  Heads

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this  feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.