[TN-Bird] Melton Hill Park - blue grosbeaks

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:44:03 -0400

I have been hearing Blue Grosbeaks at Melton Hill Park (west Knox County) the
last few times I've been there but I didn't get a decent look at one until this
morning.  There was one perched on a wire along the entrance road as I drove in
and more flying around the fields.  After parking I walked back up to that area
to try for a better look.  As I walked back down the entrance road I saw three
low on a fence.  It looked like two females and a begging fledgling; an adult
would drop to the ground and then fly up to the fence and feed the kid.   Then
a skunk ran behind them.  I paused to see if the skunk was going to cross the
road in front of me.  It didn't; it disappeared into a culvert.  The Eastern
Kingbirds were also feeding their young.  The swallows, so numerous here this
summer, seem to have departed and for the first time since May I didn't see any
Orchard Orioles.
Carole Gobert, Knoxville