[TN-Bird] McKenzie area warblers & etc.; 4/28/07

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:12:27 -0500

4/28/07
McKenzie area (Henry Co)

I spent a little over two hours out this morning, checking for migrants, on
my usual southwest Henry Co route. It was slow earlier this morning, with
lots of warblers singing, but almost exclusively locally breeding species.
The exception was Palm Warbler, which was once again abundant, easily 30+ on
the day. I got into a nice movement late this morning, which put me up to an
unexpected 25 species of warblers on the day, as well as all of TN's vireos
except for Bell's. Another nice bonus was that most birds were seen well, as
opposed to just heard.

Warblers recorded were:

Golden-winged Warbler:   1 singing male giving great looks (FOS)
Tennessee Warbler:   had 4 late in the morning, but never heard one sing;
they were singing everywhere at Reelfoot yesterday
Nashville Warbler:   3, they were silent as well
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Magnolia Warbler:   1 singing
Yellow-rumped Warbler:   numbers seem to be dropping
Black-throated Green Warbler:   3 males seen, none singing
Yellow-throated Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler:   extremely numerous, 50+
Palm Warbler:   30+, several singing
Bay-breasted Warbler:   1 singing
Blackpoll Warbler:   1
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart:   1 FOS (finally)
Prothonotary Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler:   3 singing
Swainson's Warbler:   3 birds singing in 2 locations
Ovenbird
LA Waterthrush
Kentucky Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat

Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were very obvious, with at least 25-30 seen or heard
over the morning. Acadian Flycatchers and Eastern Wood-Pewees are finally in
locally. I actually saw 8 Scarlet Tanagers, with more singing, as well as
several Summers. I haven't had a Cuckoo yet? Another nice bird locally was a
male Baltimore Oriole, which I don't see around here very often anymore.

When I finished in the woods, I made a stop by a nearby Lark Sparrow
location. I quickly found one bird sitting up in a brush pile, and shortly
afterwards the mate flew in. They flew to a nearby tree and copulated, so
there should be some Lark youngsters in the area before long.

I have posted a few more shots of general stuff over the last few days, this
includes: a nice pair of Bald Eagles at Reelfoot, a sing full of Eastern
Kingbirds, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, a couple of cooperative Prairie Warblers,
and Lark Sparrow shots (including both birds together): these shots start
at: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/77868435 , or they can be seen by
going to:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/spring_2007

Good Birding!!