[TN-Bird] Mating woodpeckers

  • From: Oligobird@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:30:58 EST

Talk about Sex in the City! Our downies have been running around in pairs for
a while, but yesterday there were three females chasing around the trees. Kay
suggests mother driving off last years brood, or do they fight over the guys?
Then a wonderful event, our Pileated showed up with a female. He started to
attack the base of a stump close to the ground, disturbing the resident pair of
Carolina Wrens, who scolded him roundly. Then this AM I was alerted to two
larger black and white forms, a pair of female Hairy Woddpeckers (only numbers
3
and 4 ever seen in the last three years here). They were close together,
sitting still for a while, then stiffening, elongating and pointing those large
bills to the sky, followed by a chase to another tree. Then repeated all over
the yard.  The male showed up later on. Our flickers were also chasing an
"extra" female around two days ago. No sapsuckers recently, they are here in
late
fall and early spring. For some reason, the Red Headed have become summer
residents (two pairs close around), showing up from time to time in winter, but
frequenting a neighbours feeder in winter. Their favourite ancient tree close
our land was knocked over last fall. Even with the "usual" suite of winter
birds, there is so much to see. Now we plan the Prairie Chicken trail to
observe
both species on leks, all the way to W. Oklahoma and the Colorado border.
Cheers. Ralph and Kay Brinkhurst, Lebanon, Wilson Co.