[TN-Bird] Marvelous Migration

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:36:00 EST

Oct. 30, 2004
Mud Island, Ensley Bottoms
Eagle Lake, Shelby Co. TN

Yesterday, a swift moving storm front passed just before dawn with a clearing
of the skies shortly thereafter. It was perfect for dragging a bunch of birds
along behind and I knew Harrier Hawks would certainly be in the mix. The
Mississippi River would be the place to watch and I spent the day scanning from
the above three locations. I was not disappointed.

The bright blue skies made it hard to see birds directly over head but you
could pick up strings and singles at a distance and follow then until you could
count and ID the species. White Pelicans would flash you from afar and then
slowly work their way past. A big push of ducks was not evident as you can see
from the numbers but the geese were certainly headed south, although nothing
like we will see with a hard freeze front moving through.

I counted 1425 White Pelicans in 11 groups, 414 Greater White-fronted Geese
in 5, and 1079 Snow and Blues in 9 flights. Ducks migrating were scarce and
those already present were dominated by Gadwall and Shovelers. In the air, I
had
only 127 Scaup and 95 Pintail. Double-crested Cormorants were streaming past
in high numbers but I decided to let them slide and just try to keep up with
the other stuff.

Raptors were continually in sight with 37 Red-tailed Hawks, 12 Harriers, an
immature and an adult Bald Eagle, 7 Kestrels, 3 Cooper's and a single
Sharp-shinned counted heading south. Vultures were also migrating with these
high
fliers and I tallied 45 Turkey and 17 Blacks. An adult and an immature
Peregrine
were raking over the wind birds at the pits, and I added Pectoral, Baird's and
Greater Yellowlegs to Friday's species list.

The Mississippi has again jumped up 17 feet but has started to fall and gulls
are hard to find but on McKellar and at TVA Lake 98 Ring-billed and 3 Herring
were seen with a single Franklin's on McKellar and 7 of these half hooded
birds were seen on a small piece of exposed sand on the Mississippi along with
Forster's Tern.

Certainly not one of those knock out super-super days but it kept this
Ol'Coot out of trouble so near to Halloween. Another larger, stormy area is
moving
through right now and I bet it has dropped in a few more goodies which I'll get
out and glean through today.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA