[TN-Bird] Male Rufous Hummingbird Still Here

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TN-Bird Post'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 13:54:20 -0600

I haven't reported on our little mature male Rufous for a few days because
we didn't know what was happening with him.  On Thanksgiving Day our
neighbor across the street worked on his car most of the day with a boom box
blaring so loud it was rattling the windows of our house - he was only about
50 yards away.  As a result, Willie Three did not come the feeders after his
initial morning feeding and we were concerned he had left.  But the next
morning he showed up at the feeder and seemed extremely nervous and left
after just a couple of quick drinks.  The neighbor came out in his yard
again to work on the car that day with his boom box and again we did not see
the hummer after his morning feeding.  Saturday morning he appeared in the
semi-darkness but after a couple of quick sips he disappeared once more for
the rest of the day and again we feared he had moved to another location.
But this morning he came so early we could hardly see him and fed for a long
time, first at the living room window feeder where he ate about 10 times and
then he switched to the kitchen side feeder and took 13 long drinks.  We
left for church and when we returned he came again at 1:30 to eat several
times.  So we assume he has settled down a bit from the trauma of the last
three days and hope he will stay with us for a while.  Unfortunately his
long absences prevented a birder from Chattanooga who was in the area from
seeing him yesterday.  But the invitation is still extended for anyone who
wants to visit; call us at 615-215-1254 so we can be home when you come.

Tommy and Virginia Curtis

Smithville, TN

DeKalb County