[TN-Bird] MODERATOR ACTION: Breeding Bird Discussion ends Wed., Oct. 19 at 12 noon.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 01:43:35 -0400

Hi all,

The Pulliam Breeding Bird Discussion has been excellent.  It has
been valuable, informative, educational and all of the participants
are to be congratulated for a science-based discussion here on
tn-bird that we certainly have room for and is an appropriate
subject.

Posts and further discussion regarding the "Pulliam Breeding
Bird Discussion" on TN-Birds should terminate at 12 noon,
Wednesday, Oct.19.

Be clear that the closing time for the discussion allows more
opportunity to make final comments.  It also allows whatever
criticism any subscribers wants to make about this decision by
your moderator.  Likewise, anyone who wants to make online
or offline comments are invited to do so. But please be courteous
and consider all other subscribers with any feelings you express.

As moderator, considerable "slack" is cut to allow for such discussions
based on what seems to be the basic purpose of TN-Birds.  To some
degree, your moderator feels this has been a good exchange for
this list that has allowed us all to redefine, to some extent, what
is considered to be appropriate discussion.  Most of what has been
posted is very appropriate.  That which might not have been is only
because discussions can continue to grow increasingly technical
until they may no longer be considered relevant by most subscribers.
There is plenty of room on TN-Birds for all we have seen.

I am most proud of all the subscribers to TN-Birds who have been
tolerant of anything they may not have particularly found of interest.
Your moderator promises you that not one e-mail has been
received which was negative or positive about the appropriateness
of the subject or how it has been conducted on TN-Birds.

I will offer my opinion and that is that statistical methods and
theory, etc. are probably beyond the scope of what is best for
TN-Birds but no harm done.  No feelings hurt and no one has gone
blind reading it.  It was not a problem for TN-Birds.  There is no
policy and probably won't be.  This list operates without a big list
of rules.  So the moderator should exercise some judgment
and make some decisions.

We should all take great pride in the discussions, the freedom
of exchange, the orderly and considerate way in which it
progressed.

Wallace Coffey
Moderator
TN-Birds Net