[TN-Bird] Light Morph Rough-legged Hawk - Dyer Co. TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:08:54 EST

Feb. 6, 2005
Hurd Loop Road
Dyer Co. TN

Sunday afternoon, on my way home, I noted another hawk perched on the
telephone pole in the southwest corner of Hurd Loop Road just off the Great
River
Road at Highway 103. As I went past and saw the front side of the bird I
realized it was an immature light morph Rough-legged Hawk. I went way down  the
road, turned and drove passed to confirm the ID and turned around at  103 and
set
up my window mounted scope and camera.

I waited for other cars to come by and followed them toward the bird.
Luckily the bird was intent on the ground below and I eased to a stop and was
able
to get 2 portrait shots of the bird, they even show the light eye  of the
immature, so light that it is probably an immature male. I'll post  the shots
tonight.

This is the fourth Rough-legged I've seen within a mile or less of this
location over the years. I wonder what draws these birds to this particular
area
at this time of the year? An immature would not have any prior  knowledge, so
what is the draw, a mystery of location that pops up time and time  again with
birds, if we only knew...................Aaah! to be bird brained.
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN