[TN-Bird] Life at the "Pits", Ensley Birthday

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 00:02:59 EDT

May 29, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
The first Black-necked Stilt young of the year arrived on Saturday and I was
there to take photos as they were shown to the world for the first time. One
adult female was trying to keep her 3 youngsters tucked under her wing as she
stooped to their level. I got photos where one evidently went to sleep and both
feet slowly left the ground, such is the trust of the innocent. At another
nest Terry Witt and I witnessed the hatching of a second brood. A couple of the
chicks could hardly stand and would tumble out from under mom as she moved
around on the nest anxiously awaiting the arrival of the late comers. There are
now well over 30 Black-necked Stilt nests at Ensley.

I watched one pair of Western Kingbirds copulate and the other pair did not
seem too interested in one another but stayed relatively close as they fed. The
pair of Shoveler Ducks still swim close to one another, if she disappears
things could get interesting and the two Blue-winged Teal males were still
present. The Mallards have chicks everywhere and the males are going into
eclipse
plumage and are really ratty looking. The biggest waterfowl surprise came with
the discovery of 7 Lesser Scaup, all males on McKellar Lake.

A single Avocet molting into breeding plumage made a brief appearance early
on but could not be relocated. The Killdeer numbers still grow with young
scattered about. The "Wind Bird" numbers dwindle but still a nice collection of
Semipalmated Plovers, a pair of Spotted Sandpipers with the female making
advances on the smaller male, will they nest again at the Pits? Least
Sandpipers were
hard to come by and still only one Pectoral among the numerous Semipalmated
Sandpipers and White-rumps. No Legs nor Stilt Sandpipers could be found and I
saw none all weekend until a Greater showed up at White Lake on Monday.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN