[TN-Bird] Re: Lakes, Ducks and Noshows

  • From: KD Edwards <sparverius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:12:25 -0500

Historically, the area by Douglas Dam and out from Cowboys Seafood on Hwy 139
have been great spots for wintering diving ducks, loons, and grebes despite the
heavy boat traffic.  Mornings and evenings were always best.  I made regular
treks there during winters in the 1990s and 100+ loons, 50+ grebes (Horned,
Pied-billed, and the rare Eared), and large rafts of diving ducks were not
uncommon.   But sometimes it's a bust.  On one trip, Rick Knight and I had 7
Long-tailed Ducks fly in.  Cherokee Dam was always better for scoters.
Taylor's Bend on Douglas was always better for dabblers and Dunlin.

I've been itching to make it to both spots with all the recent reports but
haven't found the time.  I suppose there could be any number of reasons for
fewer birds.  Food availability, boat traffic, time of visit (sunrise and
sunset are best), weather pushing birds to sheltered areas, etc.  My suggestion
would be to keep trying... And if it's a bust there, make the short drive to
Cherokee Dam.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

Sent from my iPhone