[TN-Bird] Knoxville area field trips this weekend

  • From: amjwoody@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:04:26 +0000 (UTC)

Knoxville area birds have two field trips to enjoy this weekend.  The first is
a Saturday evening woodcock walk and owl prowl  at Forks of the River WMA.
The second is a Sunday morning visit to Kyker Bottoms WMA.  Both trip will be
lead by David Trently.  Details below:

Saturday, March 19, 7:00 p.m.

Woodcock Walk & Owl Prowl, Forks of the River WMA

Leader: David Trently (Home 865-531-1473 ,

Work 865-974-8664, NatureTours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx )

Meet at the parking area of Forks of the River (past Ijams Nature

Center, first left onto McClure Lane, end of road). We'll start with

a review of the mating display of the American Woodcock, and

discuss the plan for viewing the birds. It's about a half mile walk

to the viewing area. Please dress appropriately for after dark

temperatures, a potentially muddy trail and bring a flashlight. On

the return walk, we will listen for owls.

Sunset is at 7:48, and we'll probably be back at the parking lot

after 9:00.

[...]

Sunday, March 20, 8:30 a.m.

Kyker Bottoms WMA, Blount Co:

http://tnbirds.org/birdfinding/KykerBottoms.htm

Leader: David Trently (Home 865-531-1473,

Work 865-974-8664, NatureTours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx )

Meet at the paved parking lot on Big Gully Road at 8:30. (I'll be

out there earlier- if you want to go early, contact me). Weâ??ll start

out birding the brushy areas there, then wander the nearby fields

and wetlands looking for early spring migrants, sparrows, hopefully

rails, and wrens, too. Eventually weâ??ll make our way to the

area near the barn where weâ??ll have more chances at water birds.

We should finish around noon, though if there is interest, we can

also visit the 'back entrance' on Lanier Road. (bring lunch if

interested in this option).

Waterproof boots suggested.

David Trently

Avian Pursuits Nature Tours

...come see the real world!

Knoxville, TN NatureTours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx )

Meet at the paved parking lot on Big Gully Road at 8:30. (I'll be

out there earlier- if you want to go early, contact me). Weâ??ll start

out birding the brushy areas there, then wander the nearby fields

and wetlands looking for early spring migrants, sparrows, hopefully

rails, and wrens, too. Eventually weâ??ll make our way to the

area near the barn where weâ??ll have more chances at water birds.

We should finish around noon, though if there is interest, we can

also visit the 'back entrance' on Lanier Road. (bring lunch if

interested in this option).

Waterproof boots suggested.

David Trently

Avian Pursuits Nature Tours