[TN-Bird] Knoxville Green Herons

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:52:07 -0400

Yesterday afternoon, July 4, as I parked at McKay's Used Books on Papermill
Drive near Kingston Pike in Knoxville (Knox County), I was surprised to
watch a Green Heron land on a light pole in the parking lot.  If there's any
water in the vicinity I don't know where.  After a minute or two the heron
flew off in the direction of Kingston Pike.

This inspired me to check out the pond at the corner of Morrell Road & Dean
Hill Drive just south of West Town Mall where I'd seen Green Herons in other
years.  So after stocking up on summer reading material I headed there
around 4 p.m. and found at least 5 Green Herons (probably 6) at the pond (a
couple miles from McKay's).  Those that I could see well enough appeared to
be juveniles but I may at some point return with a scope and try to get a
better look.  The fishing was good.  In the approx. 15 minutes that I stayed
I watched the herons make several successful catches, including one that
made short work of a frog.

The pond is easily accessible.  Just park at the Deane Hill Rec Center and
walk across the street to the pond.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES