[TN-Bird] Knoxville CBC - prelim results

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 14:48:18 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to everyone that helped out with the Knoxville CBC
yesterday (5 Jan 2008).  We had a lot of folks out counting
in the field and at their feeders at home.  I'll know for
sure when all the reports are in but I think we will have
set a record for number of participants on a Knoxville CBC.
This comes in large part to a great response to a request in
Marcia Davis's weekly column in the Knoxville News-Sentinel
asking folks to help out with the count.  Thanks for the
publicity, Marcia!

I hope everyone enjoyed the day and got to see some great
birds.  Please try to get your results to me as soon as you
get a chance.

In the spirit of the on-going primaries and caucuses, I'll
share some early returns with less than 15% of the districts
reporting in.  Of course reports of really good birds are
the first to come in and we've had a few of those.

Tom Howe and Ed LeGrand seem to be pretty well tied in terms
of who had the best day afield.  Tom found a DUNLIN in with
the WILSON'S SNIPE and a lingering BLUE-WINGED TEAL (an
apparent injured bird and possible hunting survivor) both
at Lackey Creek along Louisville Road between Topside Rd
and Miser Station Rd in norhtern Blount County.  This is the
3rd record of both species on the Knoxville CBC.  Tom and I
also had a COMMON LOON and 6 BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCHes at
Louisville Point Park and a GREAT EGRET at Lackey Creek
(I had a 2nd Great Egret on Toole's Bend).

Ed covered Haw Ridge Park in Anderson County where he had
an OSPREY (3rd record), at least 2 AMERICAN WOODCOCK (1st
time on Knoxville CBC since 1987-88 - 88th CBC), a BALD
EAGLE, and 8(!) FOX SPARROWs (for perspective, the record
high count for Fox Sparrow on the Knoxville CBC is only 11).
This can be a tough area to cover and Ed did a great job
hiking 9 miles of the 25+ miles of trails in the park...
and it's a mile walk in just to get to the part of the park
that's in the count area.

Patty Ford had great looks at a lingering BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER,
only the 3rd count-day record (a count-week bird was reported
the 1990-91 - 91st CBC) and first since the 1994-95 - 95th CBC.
The gnatcatcher was at the boat ramp across from Looney Island
on Alcoa Hwy.

Due to the drought and cold temperatures, most ponds were
either dry or frozen making it a difficult day to find any
waterfowl.  Most that have been reported were on the lakes.
Other than Tom's Blue-winged Teal, the best find so far is
a "Blue" SNOW GOOSE at Cove Island in Knox Co found by Chris
Welsh.

Thanks also to everyone that went out owling.  I've already
received reports of several GREAT HORNED OWLs and at least one
each of BARRED OWL and EASTERN SCREECH-OWL.  I ran by the crow
roost on Middlebrook Pike just after dark and estimated about
7000 crows in a spectacular sight (yeah, I know they're just
crows) as they wheeled and rolled around in the sky.  I heard a
few suspiciously "Fishy" nasal-sounding calls but nothing I'm
ready to call for sure.

I'll send out a full report when all the reports are in.

Thanks again, and hope everyone saves the date of Saturday,
3 January 2009 for next years' count!

Dean Edwards
compiler, Knoxville CBC

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES