[TN-Bird] Kingsport CBC (TNKI) Compilation

  • From: Bill Grigsby <wgrigs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds List <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:03:00 -0500

Audubon Christmas Bird Count, Kingsport, TN (TNKI)
Dec. 26, 2007
Thanks to all those who participated in the restart of the Kingsport
Christmas count. The count circle was the same as done since the 1940's,
but the count identifier was changed to TNKI. A total of 82 species and
5275 total birds were counted by 22 participants in 6 areas with one
feeder counter.

The summary by area:
North Kingsport area is primarily above US 11W. The leader was Rick
Phillips, assisted by Tom Laughlin. They observed 400 birds representing
45 species. Of note were 2 Merlins seen in Oak Hill Cemetery. The
merlins have been present in this area for several years and were
observed on CBC's 20 years ago.

Bays Mountain area included Bays Mountain, Meadowview, and Sullivan
Gardens was done by John Moyle. John observed 425 birds in 45 species.

Central Kingsport area is between 11W and I-81 between I-26 and Fort
Henry Drive. This area was done by Bill Grigsby (leader), Ron
Harrington, David Taylor, Faye Metzl, Sybil Williams who counted 1033
birds in 48 species.

East Kingsport area is east of John B. Dennis and Fort Henry Drive
between 11 W and I-81. This team in this area was lead by Wallace Cofey
who teamed with Dr. Andrew Jones of Cleveland, OH, Charlie Parker, Chris
O'Brien, Michelle Sparks. The team observed 884 birds in 45 species.

Boone Dam area is the southeast portion of the circle. The count team
was lead by Rick Knight with Larry McDaniel and Jacki Hinshaw. They
observed 1096 birds in a count high of 59 species.

The surpise of the count was the Southwest Kingsport Area. This is the
area west of I-26 and south of TN 93. We didn't expect to have much in
the area and almost rolled it into another area, but the team lead by
Tom McNeill assisted by Don Holt surprised us. The team included Rob
Biller, Diane Draper, and Mary Anna Wheat counted a high of 1395 birds
in 51 species. Great Effort!

Don Jones, AKA Wayne Jones, was a feeder watcher and observed 12 species
in his yard.

This was a very successful count. Since it had not been done in a while,
we did not have experience in many of the areas. I appreciate the help
of all those who participated. We have already started discussing how we
can improve it next year.  If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Species List:
Canada Goose    403
Gadwall         73
Mallard         350