[TN-Bird] KY Lake birding; 11/13/07

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:39:52 -0600

11/13/07
KY Lake areas of Henry & Benton Co
Pace Point area, Britton Ford, Eagle Creek area, Paris Landing, Port Rd
area; Henry Co
Lick Creek area Benton Co

This is a belated report from birding the above areas on Tuesday, the 13th.
Definitely a slower day than I had hoped for, but still some nice birds. All
birds mentioned were in Henry Co.

Highlights were a Pacific Loon early from Rocky Point (not seen again during
day)
Franklin's Gull at Little Eagle Creek (feeds into Eagle Creek)
Lesser Black-backed Gull; 1st-cycle on island out from Paris Landing

Loons were scattered around everywhere, with easily 350-400 in the area
still. I spent the afternoon at Port and Trailer Roads, but most birds were
over nearer Rocky Point with many motoring over to the TN River side. The
diver flock at Pace Point still has a lot of birds, but nothing interesting
except a few Greater Scaup and Redheads mixed among the horde of Ruddies and
Lesser Scaup.

Pace Point was totally devoid of gulls when I got there, in contrast to the
smorgasbord Jeff had just a couple of days previously. I stayed an hour and
a half and a total of 10 were sitting on the island. I came back again later
and only 4 were around, so I had no luck with Jeff's Thayer's or California
this time around. The Franklin's at Little Eagle Creek was very cooperative,
allowing some decent shots to be taken. The island at Paris Landing had a
couple of hundred gulls on it, but nothing but a 1st-cycle Lesser
Black-backed among the regulars.

Britton Ford was also slow, with no sign of the Long-tailed Duck. I could
see a few birds of the goose flock there, but most were out of view.

Maybe the weekend will be a bit more productive.

If anyone is interested seeing some fairly close shots of the 1st-cycle
Franklin's Gull, I've put a couple of shots in my winter '07 gallery at:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/winter_20072008

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN