[TN-Bird] KY Lake area; 3/8/06

  • From: "Todd, Michael C." <michael.c.todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:21:28 -0600

3/8/06
KY Lake area (Big Sandy to Paris Landing)
Henry & Benton Co.
Finally got out to bird a little yesterday, after much work and returning
from a whirlwind California birding trip. I enjoyed the company of a
visiting Colorado birder, who was visiting relatives and working on her TN
list. No real surprises, but we were able to add several birds to her list,
and it was a delightful if windy day.

Highlights are as follows:

Very few loons around, all Common. A couple in near-alternate plumage
though. We didn't hang around for the afternoon line-up, as the heat shimmer
was terrible

Western Grebes: both were in the usual location in the cove just west of
Pace Point.

Large numbers of American White Pelicans hanging around near Pace Point. A
few at Lick Creek (Benton Co.) as well.

1st Osprey of the season, at Britton Ford

Waterfowl numbers down, but still good variety. All regular dabblers seen,
except for Blue-winged Teal. Several good looks at Greater Scaup (all Henry
Co.), a total of 3 Canvasbacks, and we couldn't find a Redhead. Lots of
Red-breasted and Hooded Merg's, but no Commons.  No geese other than Canada.
18 species total

Single Least Sandpiper and Long-billed Dowitcher at Britton Ford; the
Dowitcher was a bit of a surprise (though with the big increase in wintering
birds very close to TN, may not be a surprise for long).

Gulls were only the 3 expected species, though a dozen Forster's Terns at
Eagle Creek were nice. The island at Paris Landing had two Peregrines on it,
the 1st time I've seen this. There was an adult male and female, both
sitting on driftwood, about 100 feet apart.

A large flock of at least 100 American Pipits was working the Britton Ford
area.

The 1st Rusty Blackbirds that I've seen lately were about 20 birds at
Britton Ford. A couple of the males were in spiffy breeding attire, with no
'rust'.
.
Pine Warblers were singing at several locations, and Tree Swallows overhead
were among the signs of spring.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd

The information contained in this communication and its attachment(s) is
intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
in error, please notify postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and delete the
communication without retaining any copies. Thank you.

Translations available: http://www.owenscorning.com/emailfooter.html