[TN-Bird] KTOS Field Trip announcement

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:40:37 -0500

east Tennessee, Loudon County

The following is a new field trip offered by the Knoxville Chapter of the
Tennessee Ornithological Society (it did not make it into our last newsletter)

SUNDAY, MARCH 12
8:00 a.m.
Bird Identification Field Trip and pot luck lunch
Wood Thrush Ridge near Greenback, TN
(the home of KTOS member Janet McKnight)

We will spend our time on this extremely bird-friendly property, watching the
many feeders, the trees, and nearby field for birds. Bring your field guides
as we will take plenty of time to study even our more common birds, pointing
out field marks and behaviors from point-blank range.
Much of the time can be spent relaxing in chairs or standing around feeders as
we watch the birds coming in to eat. You may want to try some bird photography
as well.
There is an incredible view of the mountains from atop her ridge. Here are
directions...

From I-75, take Exit 81 onto US 321 heading toward Lenoir City. Continue on
321 over Fort Loudoun Dam. Less than 4 miles from the dam, you'll turn RIGHT
onto highway 95. After 5.7 miles from there, turn LEFT onto Ness Lane. Pass
Lake Leach on your left and take the first RIGHT (Hammontree Lane) up the
hill. Enter the driveway on the right and park.
(You can do a search for 163 Hammon Tree Ln, Lenoir City, TN on expedia.com
and find the location)

Bring some food or drink to share! But please come even if you don't have a
chance to get anything to bring. If you can't make it at 8, come on later.
We'll be there into the afternoon.

David Trently
Knoxville, TN