[TN-Bird] "Immy Coop"--delightful brunch companion

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:06:01 EST

Greetings,

Just as I was putting my brunch plate on the dining table at about 10AM
today, I saw a larger bird fly into a neighbor's tree about 100 feet beyond my
French doors at my home in the Charlotte Park section of West Nashville near
Cleece's Ferry Landing.  I got my binoculars from atop the dining table and
investigated.  Just as I had first expected, I saw an immature Cooper's hawk
which
had its prey.  The prey was sort of hidden behind a branch, but I think I
caught
glimpses of fur, so it was probably one of the many mice found around here.
Not being the least bit squeamish when it comes to good food, I enjoyed my
nice lunch of "human" food while watching "Immy Coop" enjoy its "bird" food.
"Immy Coop" is a nice brunch companion in that it is mannerly enough to remain
at
the table (limb) until after the hostess is finished with her meal.  After
"Immy" left the "table," two American crows flew to the ground below where they
apparently cleaned up the "crumbs from under that table."  There must not have
been much as the crows left in very short order.

Such fun!  Actually, I believe there are two immature Cooper's in the area.
I have seen two birds come by my house from the same direction with seemingly
not enough time for them to have circled around and come back again after
leaving my sight in the other direction--that is, unless maybe it was one lone
bird that had a "hemi!!!"

Cheers & prayers for great birding in 2004,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN  (Charlotte Park, just 4 blocks east of the old Cleece's Ferry
ramp)