[tn-bird] Re: Hummer!

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:56:26 -0800 (PST)

Bob, and others

I don't know of feeders for sale in Townsend, but I'm gonna borrow
one from our kitchen staff.  Won't get it up until late afternoon.  I
hope this bird is patient!

There is very little in the way of nectar around right now in the
wild.  Trailing Arbutus, Spring Beauty, Halbard-leaf Violet,
Sharp-lobed Hepatica, Giant Chickweed, Crinkle-leaf Sedge...I think
that's all that's in bloom in the valley.  Even the Maples aren't
blooming yet.  There have been limited numbers of insects flying for
the last 2 weeks.  The kitchen feeders have been up since I convinced
the ladies to put them  back up about a month ago, but noone's seen a
hummer there, and they all think I'm nuts to suggest it!

I'll let everyone know if I see it again.  Now I'm off on a hike!

Charlie

> Charlie, Chris and all:
> I totally agree with Chris, this bird is almost certainly not a
> Ruby-throated.  That would be the truly rare hummer in your area
> this time of
> year.  Some Rufous can and do apparently "live off the land" almost
>
> exclusively.  They may make occasional visits to a feeder, but do
> not depend
> on them for their survival.
>
> Are there no cheap feeders for sale in Townsend?  If you would
> like, Charlie,
> I will call however did not return your feeder and give them a good
> "dressing
> down".  I will tell them that I am Chris Sloan, an attorney from
> Nashville,
> and I make up some of that threatening lawyer stuff to scare them.
>
> Attorney Generous
> Robert Sargent
> Sloan, Sloan, Sloan and Sloan, LLC
> Nashville, Tennessee (Trussville, Alabama office, in charge of
> threats)

>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
>     TN-Bird Net Owner: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx      (423) 764-3958

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)