[TN-Bird] Hawk Surprise

  • From: "Kristy L. Baker" <kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 20:48:39 -0600

I was almost to work this morning in Franklin when I noticed a hawk perched on
a pole down in the middle of a lot.  I did a double take at the dark bird.  It
can't be a Harris's Hawk!  (Where is a camera when you need one!?!  I need
proof for eBird!)  I turned the car around and when I got back, there were now
two birds.  I was so excited!  As I reached to get my "emergency binos", the
pole started moving.  What?  As I looked down through the 'nocs, I realized the
birds had leather straps on their legs and they were on top of a tall perch
hoisted up by a man walking in the field/lot.  Darn!  Well - at least I got to
see a Harris's Hawk this morning.  I'm guessing these were falconry birds.  I
do believe they were both Harris's Hawks, but I only know for sure that one
was.  I was too shocked by what I was seeing in the brief bit I was there to
actually try to get a better view of the second bird.  I thought about sticking
around to watch and ask, but I had to get to work.

Kristy Baker
Rockvale TN
Rutherford County