[TN-Bird] Hatchie NWR and Pace Point Areas

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 23:04:35 EST

DEC. 24, 2005
Hatchie NWR - Haywood Co.
Paris Landing, Port Road,
Britton Ford and Pace Point
Henry Co. TN

I made a run for Mike Todd's Western Grebes at Britton Ford but came up
short on those two but I did manage 2 west TN year birds. A quick stop  at
Oneal
Lake in Hatchie to see if the Vermilion has come back, produced 2  immature
Tundra Swans. Pretty poor lighting and rain made for poor but IDable  photos.
There were also 2 adult Bald Eagles sitting in one tree and 4 Cackling  Geese
in
with the Canada Geese.

At Paris Landing there were tons of gulls and I located a 2nd winter
California Gull just north of Gary's Landing and my second year bird was an
immature
Glaucous Gull sitting on the bar out from Paris Landing State  Park.

Loons were found in low numbers and all were Common. There were 14 in the
Big Sandy Reach and 16 on the TN River side of Pace Point. I kept going back to

Britton Ford looking for the Western Grebes but no luck. I did have 7
Sandhill  Cranes, first found off the refuge and then back in the corn field,
near
the old  LeConte's Sparrow site. There are thousands of ducks in all 3 bays but
nothing  more interesting than a leucistic hen Mallard to add to my off
colored bird  page. There also was a small, immature hawk that really has me
scratching my  head....no light, raining = poor photos!

At the overlook, at the Big sandy Unit of TN-NWR, where the old maintenance
shed was (they are building a big raised platform which is surely not needed
at  this location as you already have all the elevation you need, what a waste
of  good money???) I found an adult and a 1st year Golden Eagle, I got photos
of the  young bird in flight and perched. About 30 minutes later I found
another adult  with a sub-adult on the west side of Pace Point. I'm pretty sure
the
adults were  not the same bird.

There are more Goldeneye than you can shake a stick at but still not  besting
my personal high total of over 3,000 during the big freeze a few  years back.
Surely there is one Barrow's in there, someone needs to find it  before year
end.

I still need a Long-tailed Duck for my WEST TN BIG YEAR, let me know if  that
or an Eared Grebe show up, preferably together ;o)

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135