[TN-Bird] Hamilton County birds on Sunday April, 15

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:16:42 -0400

Dan Jacobson and I spent the day in the field in Hamilton County on
Sunday April 15.  We were joined by John Dever and several others at
some point during the day.  We ended up with 110 species which is not
too bad a total.  Highlights included:

16 species of warblers for day:

My FOS Cape May, Tennessee, Nashville, and Prothonatory.

At Craven House we also had our FOS Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo
Bunting and Wood Thrush.

My FOS Orchard Oriole at Standifer Gap Marsh.

We had Spotted Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper and Solitary Sandpipers at
Standifer Gap Marsh and Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs and Wilson's Snipe
at the Brainerd Levee.

Nine species of raptors including 4 Bald Eagles.

Six species of lingering waterfowl including Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked
Duck, and Northern Shoveler.

Two Common Loons at Chester-Frost park.

Day ended with two Whip-poor-wills in my yard.

Kevin Calhoon

Assistant Curator of Forests

Tennessee Aquarium

423-785-4070