[TN-Bird] Hairy woodpecker/house wren

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:37:29 EDT

Good morning,

At dawn yesterday morning while preparing to leave home for the day, I heard
the call of the hairy woodpecker here in Charlotte Park, West Nashville,
Davidson County just east of the Cumberland River.  I looked outside to see him
clutched to the dead ash tree in the side yard and calling away as if he was
very
lonely and seeking companionship of his own kind.  It's my first sighting of
a hairy in a while although I usually have them fairly often.

My little house wren has been hanging around and singing again.  They haven't
been too evident since their young fledged, fed for a few days and fled under
cover until now.  The Carolina cousins have also come out of hiding and are
feeding on the deck again.  Both have used the gourd down under the deck in the
carport for nesting and for winter quarters in the past, so I wonder which,
if either, will "win the draw" to use it this winter!

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN