[TN-Bird] Greene Co. Sandhill Cranes/Red-tail behavior

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:01:46 EST

Clyde Austin 4-H Center
Greeneville, TN

     At 11:30 am, having just had a converstaion with coworkers about cranes,
I walked outside and heard Sandhill Cranes!  There were four at treetop level
not more than 100 yards away, flying slow as if just taking off.  They
disappeared behind trees at the top of the hill, so I rushed up to get a look
at the direction of their departure.  When I reached a vantage point they
were nowhere to be seen.  The speed of their disappearance made me suspect
that they had landed nearby, but I didn't see or hear them again.
     A brief note from this afternoon, under the category of behaviors I
haven't seen before:  Two adult Red-tailed Hawks were sitting together on a
snag, only about 3 ft apart.  One was larger than the other.  They didn't
appear to interact for the half hour or so that I observed them before the
larger flew off.  I'm wondering what conclusions I can make from this
regarding their relationship.

Don Holt
910 Smalling Rd.
Johnson City, TN 37601